We are committed to protecting our Guest’s privacy.
Personal information means information or an opinion, whether true or not and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual who is identified or reasonably identifiable. Examples include your name, address and date of birth and email address.
What information do we collect?
The types of information we collect from you depends on the dealings you have with The Roost. For example, if you:
- make a reservation at The Roost or register as a Guest, we may collect your name, home and business address, telephone numbers, email address, credit card details, date of birth, gender, lifestyle information such as room preferences, names and ages of children and other information necessary to fulfil personal requests;
- submit an enquiry, we may collect details such as your name, telephone number and email address;
- use our application on electronic devices such as mobile phones and tablet computers, we will collect personal information you submit via the application;
- work for a supplier to The Roost, we may collect details such as your name, job title, address, telephone number and email address;
- apply for a job with us, we will collect the information you include in your job application, including your cover letter, resume, contact details and referee reports; and
- interact with us on social media, we will collect the information you include in your name and other personal information you have available on your social media accounts.
Additionally, we may use closed circuit security cameras in the common areas of The Roost and may capture images of you.
Collection of information other than personal information through our website
When you visit our website, some of the information that is collected about your visit is not personal information, as it does not reveal your identity.
For example, we record your server address, the date and time of your visit, the pages you visited, any documents you downloaded, the previous site you visited and the type of device, browser and operating system you used.
We use and disclose this information in anonymous, aggregated form, for purposes including statistical analysis and to assist us to improve the functionality and usability of our website. You are not individually identified, however we reserve the right to use or disclose this information to try to locate an individual where we reasonably believe that the individual may have engaged in any unlawful or inappropriate activity in connection with our website, or where we are otherwise required or authorised by law to do so.
A cookie is a small string of information that a website transfers to your browser for identification purposes. The cookies we use do not identify individual users, although they do identify the user’s internet browser.
We only use non-persistent cookies. That is, they are held on your browser’s memory only for the duration of your session.
Most internet browsers are set to accept cookies. If you prefer not to receive them, you can adjust your internet browser to reject cookies, or to notify you when they are being used. There are also software products available that can manage cookies for you. Rejecting cookies can, however, limit the functionality of our website.
How we use website information you provide us
We may use information collected from your use of our website for our marketing and promotional efforts, to improve our content and service offerings, and customise our site’s content, layout, services and for other lawful purposes. These uses improve our site and better tailor it to meet your needs.
Furthermore, such information may be shared with others on an aggregate basis, but they will not be able to identify you. By using our website, you consent to The Roost using website information in these ways.
How we collect personal information
Methods of collection
We collect personal information in a number of ways, including:
- in person (for example, such as at conferences and events or when you check – in)
- through our website (for example when you make an online reservation or enquiry)
- through our Facebook page
- over the telephone
- through written correspondence (such as letters, faxes and emails)
- on hard copy forms (for example, competition entry forms and surveys)
- through surveillance cameras
- from third parties
Where we collect personal information about you, we will take reasonable steps to provide you with certain details about that collection (such as the purpose for which we are collecting the information and the type of third parties to which it is usually disclosed). We will generally include this information in a collection notice.
Unsolicited personal information is personal information we receive that we have taken no active steps to collect (such as an employment application sent to us by an individual on their own initiative, rather than in response to a job advertisement).
We may keep records of unsolicited personal information if the Privacy Act permits it (for example, if the information is reasonably necessary for one or more of our functions or activities). If not, we will destroy or de-identify the information as soon as practicable, provided it is lawful and reasonable to do so.
Use of personal information
We generally use your personal information for the purpose of providing you with services that you have requested.
We may use information collected from your use of our website for our marketing and promotional efforts, to improve our content and service offerings, and customise our site content, layout, services and for other lawful purposes. These uses improve our site and better tailor it to meet your needs.
Furthermore, such information may be shared with others on an aggregate basis, but they will not be able to identify you.
By using our website, you consent to The Roost using website information in these ways.
You also consent to us using your email address (if provided) for marketing purposes. We will only send you information that we deem relevant to you, such as special offers or promotions either where we have your express or implied consent, or where we are otherwise permitted by law to do so. We may contact you for these purposes in a variety of ways, including by mail, email, SMS, telephone or online advertising. You can opt out of receiving these emails at any time using the unsubscribe feature or by contacting the hotel.
Where you have consented to receiving marketing communications from us, your consent will remain current until you advise us otherwise. However, you can opt out at any time, by:
- contacting us (details are provided below)
- using the ‘unsubscribe’ feature that we include in our electronic messages (such as emails, SMSes and MMSes)
Notification of source
If we have collected the personal information that we use to send you marketing communications from a third party (for example a direct mail database provider), you can ask us to notify you of our source of information, and we will do so, unless this would be unreasonable or impracticable.
Disclosure of your personal information
There may be circumstances where we need to disclose your personal information to third parties, for example:
- to comply with legal or regulatory requirements
- under a court order or subpoena
- in the event of the sale or acquisition of The Roost
- to provide you with services that you have specifically requested
- where companies or businesses providing services to The Roost require that information (for example credit card companies)
- in the case of an emergency
- to debt collection agencies where you owe The Roost money for services we have provided to you
- to financial institutions to process payments
- referee details who are provided to us by job applicants
- our contacted services providers, including information technology and data storage providers, venues and event organisers, marketing and communications agencies, research and statistical analysis providers, call centres, mail houses, external business advisors (such as consultants, recruitment advisors, accountants, auditors and lawyers)
By using our website or providing us with your personal information, you agree to and acknowledge that your personal information may be released to third parties in this manner. Where we do release your personal information, we will do so only to the extent necessary.
Storage of your personal data
To prevent unauthorised access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the personal information we collect about you.
Your right to access your personal information
You can request access to the personal information we collect about you and maintain on our database. You can also ask us to update or modify that information at any time. See the contact information below for details on how you can do this.
Website Use Information
The Roost also collects information about how you use and interact with our website. By using our website, you consent to the collection of this information. This information cannot be used to identify you and you can always use our website without revealing your identity.
IP addresses are used by your computer every time you are connected to the Internet. Your IP address is a number that is used by computers on the network to identify your computer. IP addresses are automatically collected by our web server as part of demographic and profile data known as traffic data so that data (such as the web pages you request) can be sent to you.
Links to other websites
In order to provide you with products and services, The Roost provides links to other websites. The Roost is not responsible or liable for the content of those websites or for the practices employed by those websites, including how they collect or use your personal or website use information.
705 Blue Johanna Road
Johanna, Vic 3238